Sunday, June 15, 2008
Making tofu with soybeans, lime juice and water
Makes about 1 pound and 12 ounces of tofu. It is delicious when still warm with just salt and black pepper.
2 1/2 cups soybeans
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 gallon water
1. Soak soybeans overnight and drain. Add fresh water and grind in a soybean grinder or blender.
2. Strain soybean pulp through a cheese cloth to make soymilk
3. Boil soymilk for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and add lime juice.
Bring soymilk to boil again, tofu should start to form. The water should be clear with a yellow color, if not, add more lime juice, turn off the heat and cover the pot with a lid.
6. Allow to set for 1/2 hour.
7. Line a colander again with cheese cloth. Place the colander over a pot.
8. Transfer tofu to the strainer and fold the cloth over it. Place a plate on top, then place a gallon bottle of water for weight. (Make sure that the drained water in the pot does not touch the colander. If necessary, pour out the water from time to time.
10. Tofu is ready in about 2 hours.