1 roll makes about 8 servings
1 1/2 pound frozen bean curd sheets
1 tablespoon salt
Sauce for outer layer:
8 tablespoons maple syrup
8 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
2 tablespoons low-salt soy sauce
2 pounds of assorted ground mushrooms
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup or equivalent sweetener
1/2 teaspoon five-spiced powder
a dash of black pepper
2 layers of 15x15 banana leaves
30-inch cotton string
Sauce for roasting:
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1. Rinse frozen bean curd sheets with warm water 3 times. Marinade the sheets in 1 tbsp salt for 5 minutes. Squeeze out excess water.
2. Combine ingredients for sauce for the outer layer and mix well.
3. Sauté the mushooms.
4. Lay the two banana leaves on top of each other on a flat surface. Spread the bean curd on the banana leaves. Spread the mushroom mixture at the end near you. Wrap tightly into a roll, folding the edges of the banana leaves in as you roll. Tie the roll from top to bottom with a string.
5. Steam for 1 hour. Let cool completely.
6. Unwrap the roll.
7. Combine the sauce for roasting and mix well.
8. Brush the roll with sauce.
9. Fill a baking tray with about 1 cup water, put the roll on the rack, and place the rack on the baking tray.
10. Bake at 350 degrees F. Brush with sauce every 15 minutes. Bake for about 1 hour or until brown.