I made this soup up as I went along, with whatever I had available. It was served with toasted French bread. Everyone seemed to enjoyed it!
Makes 6 quarts
- 4 quarts vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 1 summer squash, sliced
- 1/2 pound sweet peas
- 2 heads bok choy, cut in 2-inch length
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or equivalent sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can 6-oz tomato paste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans
1. Pour the broth in a 6 quart-pot bring to a boil.
2. In a pan or wok, add oil, oregano, add carrot, saute for 1 minute. Add peppers and saute for 1 minute, repeate for squash, sweet peas and bok choy.
3. Add salt, sweetener and spices.
4. Add the sauteed mixture to the broth pot.
5. Stir in tomato paste.
6. Add rice and beans.
7. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or transfer to a slow cooker, cook on low for 4 hours.
8. It even tasted better the next day.