Makes 32 sticks
- 1 packet active dry yeast dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 1/2 cups King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 handfuls sesame seeds to coat (optional)
1. In a large bowl, mix in all the ingredients (except sesame seeds) until the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl. I used a stand mixer.
2. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap, I used a clean plastic shower cap.
3. Put the dough in the refrigerator overnight.
4. In the morning, let the dough out in room temperature for about 30 minutes.
5. On a flat surface, greased with oil, take about a half size of a ping-pong dough, roll the dough on the surface, stress it out as you roll to make a 9-inch stick.
6. Spread a thin layer of sesame seeds, roll the stick over to coat. (Optional)
7. Toast 4 sticks a time on top brown 2 times.
8. Turn the sticks over, toast on top brown 1 more time.
9. Place them on a rack to cool.
10. I rolled 4 sticks, toasted them, while toasting, I rolled 4 more and toasted until no more dough.
11. The dough will keep in the refrigerator for a week. You can have fresh bread sticks everyday if you want. They taste very good out of the oven. Have fun.