- 1 coconut, cut a whole coconut in half using a heavy object, save the coconut water to for the stew>
- 1 pineapple, cut into eight, length wise, slice off the peel, then slice each section into 1 inch thick
- 1 pound carrots, cut a whole carrot in half length wise, then cut into 2 inch long
- 1 pound red radish, cut in half
- 1 packet firm Nasoya tofu, cut into 2 inch square
- 20 shiitake dry mushroom stems, soaked in warm water
- 2 tablepoons canola oil
- 3 slices ginger, minced
- 4 table spoons sea salt
- 8 table spoons molasses
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
1. Soak tofu in oil, bake to brown.2. Use an 8 quart pot, add oil, add ginger to brown.
3. Stir in mushrooms, carrots, radish, pineapple, tofu.
4. Add salt and molasses, stir 5 minutes.
5. Add water and coconut water just to cover the veggies.
6. Pour vital wheat gluten to a big bowl, add 3/4 cup of broth from the pot, mix well.
7. Shape seitan into a roll, let it rest for 15 minutes, while waiting, remove coconut meat from shell, cut into small pieces, add to the pot.
8. Turn stove to medium low so that water in the pot just gets to the boiling point, ready to add seitan (water can't be too boiled or your seitan will be hard, I heard many compaints about how hard their seitan was).
9. Pull seitan from seitan roll to make a thin layer, roll as you pull until to the size of a thumb, cut it off from the seitan roll, add to the pot.
10. Continue to do so for the rest of the seitan roll.
11. Transfer to a slow cooker, cook in low overnight about 6 hours.
12. Served with rice, pickled bean sprouts, pickled cucumbers, pickled mustard greens (dua cai), or Vietnamese coleslaw.
Happy Valentine's day :)
Namo A Mi Two Fwo