Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Driving Meditation

I have written a simple verse you can recite before starting your car:

Before starting the car,
I know where I am going.
The car and I are one.
If the car goes fast, I go fast.

Sometimes we don't really need to use the car, but because we want to get away from ourselves, we go for a drive. We are afraid of being alone with ourselves. We want to escape.

Driving is a daily task in this society. I am not suggesting you stop driving, just that you do so consciously. While we are driving, we think only about arriving. Therefore, every time we see a red light, we are not very happy. The next time you see a read light, please smile at it and go back to your breathing. Transform a feeling, of irritation into a pleasent feeling. Although it is the same red light, it becomes different. It becomes a friend, helping us remember that it is only in the present moment that we can live our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment